Monday 19 December 2011

Spinachpesto - not only for Popeye!

Check out this easy recipe for Spinachpesto, your Toddler will eat it all!

Today I was thinking of what I could cook for my little fella. Wandering through our polytunnel I saw the Spinach being ready for harvesting. Why not, off it goes and I already had an Idea walking back to the house. Here it goes:

Ingredients:

A full pot of Spinach including the stems
A spoon of butter
½ onion
1 clove of garlic
¼ of a teaspoon of salt
Ca. 50ml cream
Parmesan cheese – as much as you like

Cover the base of a pot with just a bit of water and add the Spinach. Simmer on a little flame until the veg is through. You will see that easily: the pot is not as full anymore as when you added the Spinach – only the base is covered now and the leaves and stems are soft.


Mix everything with the blender until you have a fine, smooth consistency … it doesn’t look the nicest I have to admit but bear with me :)

Melt the butter in a different pot and add the finely chopped onion until it is glassy and soft. Then add the blended spinach.

Chop the garlic very fine or use a garlic crusher and add this to the paste with the little bit of salt. You really don’t need much.

Then add the cream. Bit by bit so it is a nice creamy consistency. The mash looks now actually a bit nicer you will probably admit, it reminded me of Guacamole.

I had boiled noodles and added the Spinachpesto. Grate some fresh Parmesan on top of it – ready. And it’s so easy, fresh and healthy.

My boy ate the full portion and even nibbled a bit from mine.


Did you know: you can grow Spinach easily on a long planting pot on your balcony?


And if you don't have fresh spinach you can also use frozen one you got from your supermarket.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews